Join our 2nd annual Salud-a-thon!
Salud-a-thon: (n.) a month long commitment to your health as you empower women in Guatemala...and a chance to win a trip to Cabo!*
HELP US REACH MORE WOMEN WITH CRITICAL HEALTH SERVICES!
Annual physicals. Blood pressure checks. STI screenings. Mammograms. Dental appointments. And, if you’re a woman, the dreaded….Pap smear.
Many of us generally have easy access to all of these services, but how often do we put them off? While we have the luxury of scheduling them (or in some cases, ignoring them), for the 30,000 women Friendship Bridge serves each year, access to preventive healthcare is rarely even an option. This lack of healthcare only perpetuates the cycle of poverty.
Friendship Bridge is doing something to change that. Last year, we added a health program – Salud para la Vida (Health for Life) – to further our mission to eliminate poverty. With the support of our 2015 crowdfunders, we reached 2,745 women with health education and 1,121 clients accessed preventive health services.
Each year we are expanding Salud para la Vida to another part of Guatemala, and our annual Salud-a-thon supports this program expansion. This year, our goal is to raise $50,000 with your support. If we reach this goal, a group of donors has committed matching funds of $50,000...totaling $100,000 to provide potentially life-saving preventive health services and education to women in Guatemala. This will allow us to reach 2,100 more women with preventive health services.
We're asking you to do two things to help us succeed:
1. Pledge to prioritize your own health, whether that means scheduling that doctor’s appointment you’ve been putting off, exercising more regularly, or doing something as simple as taking a multi-vitamin everyday. Create a health challenge for the month of September, and stand in solidarity with women in Guatemala accessing health services.
2. Help us raise funds to expand this health program to even more parts of Guatemala. Similarly to how you might ask friends and family to support a marathon or bike ride, use this month-long health challenge to ask them to support Friendship Bridge while you make a pledge to your own health.
Would you join us in both of these efforts? Consider starting your own crowdfunding campaign to help us expand Salud para la Vida and reach our goal of raising $100,000. We will provide a toolkit and weekly emails to make it as easy for you as possible! To sign up, please click the 'Create a Fundraising Page' button above.
A little goes a long way...check out what your donation could do in Guatemala:
- $10 – Two Pap smears
- $25 - Preventive health services for one woman for a year
- $50 – Two birth control implants
- $75 – Blood pressure cuff
- $100 – Preventive health services package for four women for a year
- $600 – A laptop for a nurse traveling to rural areas with a mobile clinic
- $1,000 – A portion of health equipment, such as a diabetes testing machine
Join us in raising awareness and funds to support these vital preventive health services. Sign up and create your own fundraising page today!
Feel free to call or email us with any questions or if you would like help setting up your crowdfunding page - (303) 674-0717 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*For every $250 you raise on your personal crowdfunding page, you'll be entered into a drawing to win a weeklong trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico! We'll draw two winners on October 1st.